Saturday, November 29, 2014

Funny thing about giving thanks

We all count our blessings (or pretend to) at least once a year... and the next day I am angry. Why? Because people post the most ignorant things.

 "Oh my turkey was dry!" or "That damn mother-in-law.". But when the table is one seat open, because she's died next year will you regret that post?

How about when the plant closes and you have no money for food? Will the turkey taste better in remembering?

On my Thanksgiving, I realized at 4 in the morning that I had forgotten my meds. As a result my darling, love of a husband had to drive me all the way home (1 hour) and drive himself back. I spent Thanksgiving  between the bed and the bathroom and my dinner was a doughnut. So... did I have a crappy Thanksgiving? NO! Because, despite the quality I had one. Many people didn't.

We have troops, that might never see another Thanksgiving. We have homeless freezing to death in the streets, who won't reach Christmas. We have loved ones who will or have passed. That is why when I say thanks, I give thanks for what I don't have. Like so: (and yes I do this daily)

I'm thankful that I don't have:
a terminal illness
to live in a crate
starvation
catatonia
physical abuse
financial abuse
sexual abuse
emotional abuse
a dying child
an ill loved one
a son who won't come home
to worry every day that my husband will get shot on the job
psychotic breaks
chronic mental illness
to live with people who hate me
an extreme case of cognitive disorder
a severe learning disability of any kind
plague
dysentery
developmental retardation in any form
dementia
a deteriorating job
drunkenness or being drugged
to live in a war zone
to have grown-up in a war zone
in adequate crops or absence of irrigation.

I could go on all day. Truth of the matter is that for some this is what they have everyday. Some of us will never have more. I think that people who are truly grateful pay forward what little they have. Someday that could be me. And so in short I am grateful for what I ain't got. I further pray that we all triumph... together!

That's my side of it,
Angel

www.streetlighthalo.com
www.cheshiregrinpublishing.com
www.thisneedstobesaid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment