Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Interview with Rival Gates

Interview

1.  How did your life as a writer begin?

I began by entering essay contests in grammar school and writing the scripts for all the class plays.  Writing was something I always enjoyed doing.

2.  What makes you feel inspired to write?

Reading inspires me as does absolute silence when I can just let my imagination wander.

3.  How did you come with the idea for your current story?

After making the first two books I decided to have Lord Mandrean live through his fight with Linvin.  Then I thought, If I was Lord Mandrean I would want some payback.  How could I hurt Linvin the most?  The story just came together from there.

4.  Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline, or are you more of a seat of your pants type of a writer?

I definitely outline and storyboard my book before I write it.  Then all the details are worked out and I don’t have to worry about leaving a part out of the story.

5.  What is your favorite scene in the book? Why?

My favorite scene is the part where Necromancer visits Mandrean in the bath.  Necromancer can’t refuse his orders but he can insult him.  For Mandrean’s part, he can order Necromancer around but cannot do anything about his attitude.  It makes for a hilarious scene.  You have two evil people who hate one another trying to belittle the other.

6.  What is your most interesting writing quirk?

I can’t have any sound around me at all when I’m writing.  There can be no distractions or I will lose the flow.

7.  What is your usual writing routine?

I sit down and read over the last few pages I wrote.  That gets me in the writing mood.  Then I check the outline to see what I need to touch on.  Everything lines up in my head and I start writing.

8.  What is the highest goal that you desire to meet as an author?

I want to reach the best seller’s list.

9.  Who is the one author that you would love to meet someday and why?

J. K. Rowling.  She turned her dream into something amazing that the whole world could appreciate.

10.  What is the best piece of advice you would give to someone that wants to get into writing?

Find yourself a good beta-reader.  This is a person who will read your work and look for inconsistencies in the story and other errors.  They have to be hard on you or they won’t catch mistakes your readers might.  It makes all the difference in the world.

11.  What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for?

I would really like to read the entire series by David Eddings.  I read “Pawn of Prophecy” about a year ago and have wanted to read the rest of the series.  He was a great writer and I love his style.

12.  How do you spend your free time? Do you have a favorite place to go and unwind?

Writing is how I spend my free time.  I have an office dedicated to my writing and I closeout the outside world so I can create an imaginary one of my own.

13.  Can you share with us something off your bucket list?

Meet Jonathon Rhys-Davies in person.

14.  Tell us three fun facts about yourself.

I still like some cartoons.  I believe Doritos should be a food group.  I yell at the T.V. during football games as though they can hear me and will do what I say.

15.  What do you have in store next for your readers?

I don’t want to give anything away but the next book is called “Repercussions Abound” and basically that whole mega-happy ending thing doesn’t happen for anyone.  Everyone loses in some way.  It’s a brutal climax to this part of the story but a necessary one.

16.  Is there anything else you’d like to share with your readers?

I purposely wrote a shorter book this time out to see what the response would be.  We will wait and see if people prefer the long ones or the shorter one.

17.  Where can we buy your books?

They are available on Amazon.com at the following links:
Quest for the Red Sapphire -  http://amzn.to/1npYd0S
Sapphire Crucible - http://amzn.to/1lGfOVN
Mandrean Revenge - http://amzn.to/1L9c76S

No comments:

Post a Comment