Monday, December 9, 2013

41 Rag Dolls & 1 book release

No Good Deed

Ever heard that no good deed goes unpunished? I'm not so certain that's true but it's becoming increasingly harder to extend your hand to another. So here for your entertainment is the journey of the rag dolls to their final destination.

This all started when this year I decided to donate my rag dolls to a local hospital's cancer ward. All 41 were finished. (That was the count of the ones that turned out okay.) we had babies, a cow, kitties, puppies and were very excited to give these to suffering kids this holiday season. They were all boxed and ready to go earlier this weekend and I called the hospital. I was met with the same problem I had 3 years ago.... I had to make an appointment when such and such was available... fill out form whatever in triplicate.... jump through a hoop... do a funny dance or whatever. In the end 3 years ago after I did all of this the dolls were never taken to that cancer ward anyway. Another nurse grabbed them up for her ward.

I was not going to smash my head against walls this year. I am disabled and don't drive but I know in my heart of hearts some child needs a Merry Christmas and I can help with that. There were several possibilities unwed mothers, and a billion others.

I decide a local homeless shelter run by a church might be nice. So I look up the web-site. Here's the kicker... they only accept Dora toys. Um? I doubt kids that don't even have a home for Christmas are really sitting there saying, “Well I know I don't have anything but I don't want your toys... I want...” So I am left to ask myself, “Who made this stupid rule?”


All day I am met with cash donations only and I am getting distraught. We finally decided on the Marine's Toys for Tots. I know this charity has much honor. My Pappaw was a Marine you know.

So we went to the local recruiting office to ask about a drop-off location. And there before us stood the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A very kind and lovely young lady named, Staff Sgt. Recruiter Elizabeth Plaia came all the way out to the car in the freezing cold in order to give us directions to the base where I am told Santa is working over-time. To this very nice officer I want to give a shout out! This woman knows honor and protects the interests of extending one's hand to another.
That's my side of it,
Angel


PS Book is due out in March! 

No comments:

Post a Comment