Monday, December 23, 2013

Best gift!

The best gift my Mom ever got me

I was only very young yet. But I was still old enough to have this whole Christmas present thing figured out! It didn't matter how many times you asked for a pony.... you weren't EVER going to get one. I remember I saw that Lucy on the Charlie Brown show had asked for Real Estate. I tried that because maybe you could trade that for kool stuff... but all of the grown-ups laughed and asked if I was watching too much TV. Drats! Foiled again!

I had a little brother. But you know he cried too much. I was pretty sure he had cooties. Something was wrong with him for certain. He chased frogs. He didn't like dolls much and worst of all... if you dressed him in girl clothes and made him carry a purse you always got in trouble for it! Don't believe me? Ask my cousin.

So my little kid mind came around to it, what I needed was a sister! I had a birthday coming up, so I asked my mom for one, she said, “We'll see.” I don't guess she was taking me seriously.... all she did was eat any more I guess.... because she had gotten really, really fat.

To my surprise my Nanna and Pappaw told me a few weeks later, “You have a baby sister!” That was really quick! I was so happy! I wondered if Mom could do that with real estate.

My sister Sheila has been with me through thick and thin and back again. She helped me get through an abusive relationship just by listening. So many nights I just felt I had lost the will to live. But I thought, “If I just call Sheila and vent. I'll feel better!” and I always did.

It was something she said that helped me make up my mind to have my daughter. It was only in trying to impress her that I didn't drop out of High School. She was the first person I shared my writing with and the first person I read to when I learned to read. She made a huge difference in my life and for that I am grateful.

I am also eternally grateful to my mom for listening at least once. But Mom if you're listening now:
CAN I PLEASE HAVE A PONY?

That's my side of it,

Angel 

No comments:

Post a Comment