Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday


My blog tonight concerns Black Friday, an absolutely sickening tradition that we hold dear every year. In case you live under a rock Black Friday is a mob-mentality, kill or be killed, shopping spree where in people, fight, trample each other to death and yes even draw weapons in order to get the best deal on crap they don't need only one day after saying thanks for all the crap they already have too much of.

Can't you just see the extra adoration in your loved one's eyes when you pull them near at Christmas and say softly, “Not only did I get 20% off your gift I had to literally kill someone to do it! Not only that but I had to hock it in order to pay the bail money it took to get me out of jail after I trampled old ladies and orphans!” Now this all sounds very like a joke but in reality it isn't. The people who get killed on Black Friday because super stores have super sales will never get the joy of spending another holiday with their loved ones again.

Perhaps I am getting too old but I don't see the sense in it. I personally never shop on Black Friday as I am certain that the exact same garbage being sold this time of year will still be carried in the same stores this time next year and throughout the year as well.

It all takes me back to the Harry Potter books. Every year I would get on the waiting list and reserve a copy of whatever was new for my child. It never failed but every year some idiots would fist-fight (in front of their kids) for a copy. If the store ran out but I had a copy reserved I might moan at the clerk, but that was about it. I never did get the over-whelming urge to beat the crap out of another human-being and teach my child that lynch-mob behavior over one book that would be in stock again later... especially when standing in a store filled with billions of other books.

I think whether we like it or not we lead by example. I believe that kids watch us very closely and are so talented at watching us that they can even do it while rolling their eyes! Let's act like people instead of rabid apes, shall we?

That's my side of it,

Angel 

No comments:

Post a Comment