Friday, February 21, 2014

Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle!!!

5 minutes before the miracle

This is actually the story of the best day of my life, the greatest miracle that God ever saw fit to give me... I write tonight for a friend in pain, about to lose his mother. The difference is I was losing a child...

When Sarah was tiny she had a brain mass the size of a man's thumb in the middle of the brain. If you placed one finger on the top of your head and one at your temple you would find that spot. My daughter had lost her hair in spots, suffered, grew up in hospital beds. She had managed to live to the ripe, old age of 9 but we were told it would be any day now. (I'll get back to this later.)

We used to have a dog named, “Sir Trusty Rusty the Great Red Hippopotamus” and one, fine day at 5 in the morning in 30 degree weather he wanted out. Now the thing you must understand is that Rusty was the greatest dog that had ever walked the face of the earth... except for the fact that at 5 in the morning on the coldest day in Florida's history he wanted to go out.

At any rate, at that time I lived in a complex of several buildings (12 to be exact) and the woman who was left to do everything there was a lovely Haitian lady named Alcina. Now Alcina was an older woman and our condo association treated her like a slave which always served to piss me off greatly. They refused her a raise, health insurance (even after 18 years) they even refused her bereavement pay when she took off to her mother's funeral.

Now the thing you have to understand to truly get the story is that I am like some weird activist wanna-be. The other thing you have to understand is that Alcina was strict Orthadox and in her belief women only wear skirts.

Anyway I take Rusty down the stairs and there stands Alcina in a huge puddle of cold water, legs exposed from her skirt in 30 degree weather just moppin' and singin'! This really aggravated me because they aren't going to give her sick pay or over-time... but what aggravated me more was Alcina herself. How many times had I mentioned the ACLA? Unions? BBB? And about a zillion others? And how many times would she give me a light smile and simply state, “Ms. Angel Life BAD in Haiti. I not make trouble.”

There was no explaining to this woman as Rusty said his wag-tail good mornings that as a US citizen she had rights. There was further no explaining to this woman that since like 5 of her 10 children were born here there was no way to deport her and as such she had the rights of any citizen! So the longer I walked Rusty and thought of the abuse she was just... taking... the angrier I got. Yet how do you help someone who doesn't want any help? You can't. Defeated I walked back wondering how I could help Alcina today.

Getting Sarah ready for school I decided I would just make an extra hot chocolate and take it to her. I did so and you would have thought I handed this woman the Holy Grail as happy as she was. I walked my child to school and returned home. I had just gotten through the door when Alcina knocked. I opened the door, Alcina handed me the cup and stayed for a cinnamon toast. As she left she said, “Jesus gonna bless you today!” I believe I said something to the affect of, “Yeah whatever lady,” and proceeded to slam the door.

That door did not close before the phone rang. I ran to pick it up as after only 3 rings the machine comes on. This is the conversation as I remember it:

Voice: Hello this is Miami Variety. Is Ms. Wineholt there?

Me: Good morning Dr. Morrison It's me.

Doctor: We just received your daughter's test results. The brain mass is gone. We ran it three times.

Me: But? Dr. Morrison how is that possible?

Doctor: We don't know We've never seen it before.

PS They eventually fired Alcina. She now runs a five star hotel on South Beach.

That's my side of it,
Angel

www.streetlighthalo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment