Friday, April 4, 2014

Brothers and Mindsets

Brothers and Mindsets

A very long time ago I had posted something of great importance to me at the time and one of my brothers cracked a joke that was in poor taste. He meant no harm but as usual I took it personally. I called my sponsor to complain about the entire lack of compassion, the hatred, the self-centeredness of my brother. I was shocked to hear that my problem was me.

In AA we say, “The quickest road to a resentment is an expectation.” What does that mean really? It is as Einstein said, “Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.”

The self-centered one in the argument was me. I set an expectation of a certain behavior I felt was acceptable and when my brother didn't live up to the invisible ruler (that he, by the way, was unaware of) I got angry and rude. I decided that he was obligated to live up to my code of honor... not his.

So tell me, who am I that I am so important that I should police the thoughts and senses of others?

It would be no different than if I said, “Well if you just do everything MY way I can fix your whole life, NEVER MIND that mine is in shambles.” So basically once I stirred the shit-pot I got angry because I had to lick the spoon. Very unfair and childish actually.

As an alcoholic the only mind-set I can really exercise that will be beneficial to all is acceptance. I am here to tell you that being an alcoholic dictates that this is absolutely the least likely thing I will practice. That is because it is the hardest and it takes work... not work on my brother's flaws... work on mine.

For example, I can get very angry at my disease. I can scream, yell, bite, kick and yes, even drink over it. Will any of that make my spine whole? No. Neither will my getting upset over a joke of my brother's make him behave using any other personality than his own. And in truth, why should he?

So now, many years later, I am here to say that I must accept that fish will act like fish, birds will act like birds and cats will act like cats. This all seems very simple to the rest of the world, but it has taken me years to try to learn and I haven't tackled it yet. The thing I did finally come to understand is that trying to fix everyone else is just a distraction from all the work I have to do on myself. So I guess I'll live my life now and do my very best to accept that other people are perfectly capable of living their own lives without my judgment and interference.

That's my side of it,
Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment