Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Interview With Rival Gates (guest blogger)


Rival Gates Author Interview


1. Greetings, can you tell us a little bit about your history and how your work has evolved up to this point?

I was raised as the son of a teacher and an editor. Being a writer was something I aspired to since childhood. At the age of 13 I started work on “The Sapphire Chronicles” as a way to do something positive during a difficult time in my life. The first draft of “Quest for the Red Sapphire”, Book 1 was hand written on binder paper. As I advanced through school and life I read many great authors and learned a good deal about writing. It took over thirty years of working on and off but I finally published my work.

2. What genre, or genres, do you write?

I write Fantasy. More specifically, I write Epic Fantasy.

3.  What is your latest book called and what is it about?

My new book is called “The Sapphire Crucible”. It is the second installment of “The Sapphire Chronicles”. It is the continuing tale of former general Linvin Grithinshield leading his uncle and cousins on a quest to find the mythical Red Sapphire before their evil enemies find the stone. He must overcome unprecedented odds and fight for his life in a world of death and destruction. Linvin has to find the gem first and escape with his family alive.

4. What was the inspiration for your book?

I drew inspiration from the work of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I was also an avid Dungeons and Dragons player as a teen. It helped me expand my thoughts and think in medieval terms. Creating dungeons of my own helped hone my skills as a writer.

5. Where can we buy your books?

You can find them at Amazon.com

6. What can we expect from you in the future?

With “The Sapphire Crucible” just coming out I will be busy for some time with the promotion of the book. The third installment in the series will be called, “Mandrean Revenge.”

7. Among your own books, have you a favorite book?  Favorite hero or heroine?

The Sapphire Crucible” is my favorite of my books. It is intense and yet thought provoking. As much as I love the main character, Linvin Grithinshield, I have a soft spot for Bander Greenlith. He is a simple elf who cares more about food than wealth. Bander will never blow you away with his intelligence but he is able to see through all the complications people create in order to see the simple truth in a situation. He is fearless and loyal to a fault. My favorite heroine is easily Miri. Here is a beautiful princess who acts nothing like one. She is strong willed, smart and a good fighter when called upon. She is really going to surprise some people who think they have the book figured out early.

8. Do you plot ahead of time, or do you let the plot emerge as you write?

I definitely plot ahead of time. I want my story to flow together in a logical sequence. That takes planning. When I just sit down and write without much of a plan I find there are important elements left out of the story. Then I have to go back and find a way to squeeze it into the story. In the end I am never satisfied. Preparation is the key to a good story for me.

9. Who are some of your favorite authors to read? Favorite books?

Aside from the authors mentioned previously, I have enjoyed the work of David Eddings, Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov

10. What would be your ultimate goal as a writer?

As a writer I want to touch as many lives as possible. Just as I was inspired to use my own voice, I hope to influence others to tell their own stories. That would be a great accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment