Monday, April 28, 2014

Signings and Signs!



Book signing and signs in general




I was having a terrible day. People don't want to buy a book about troubled teens, because it insinuates that their kids are bad. From the reaction my book comes in a brown paper wrapper. My book is to open dialogues with teens. If you are saying, “YEEEEW! Talk to my kids?” then shame on you!!

As you know the schools thought it was a pointless book and the churches and parents that I approached around here said that their kids didn't even cuss (superkids from the planet denial... able to leap into bad life choices in a single-bound!) and promoting this kind of book seemed so over-complicated and pointless.

People love the raffles I throw and will compete for the book, but won't buy. The winnings take double offset the price of the book I raffled off. The little boy who won the last raffle was almost in tears of joy and jumped around excitedly. But he's much too small for it to be helpful right now.

Sarah's hair, that took hours to put up and the costume she had on... basically exploded as well. Boy, I was fit to be tied. How do you change a world that doesn't want to be changed. I was so angry. Until a sign...

My Medicine Man, God rest him, helped me edit that book. It was our pet project for years. I was kinda wishing he was there. I looked up from placing my give-aways on the table and... there stand's Bear's doppleganger! This man had the same face, beard, glasses, hat, shirt, cane. My mouth dropped open.


He said, “Whataya raisin money for?” I explained that since my literacy drive was sort of a bust we were just selling books.

Today while sitting at a red light we were approached by a person asking for a donation for a halfway house to help kids addicted to drugs etc get their degrees. It all came from nowhere and the sign... had it been a traffic sign... would have been very simple. It'd have said, “Go!”




That's my side of it,

Angel



www.streetlighthalo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment