Saturday, July 5, 2014

Jabberwock excerpt

Jabberwock is about a big girl who has had enough of body-shaming. It is about extraordinary women and the every day struggles they face. Aging parents, divorce, weight gain are all mentioned but this book is about so much more. It is about what binds us together and the things that chip away at that bond. Here's an excerpt:

I am on the cell with food stamps twice more, including the hour in traffic that wouldn't be parted for Moses himself. I am on hold for an hour before I realize the office has been closed for 45 minutes.

And when I get home who should I see on my stoop but the lovely, Jenni! It just keeps getting better and better!

Fucking Mondays! I'll bet there's a fucking Monday fairy. Like she was too twisted to just give out painful shit like cavities to little kids so instead of Tooth Fairy they promoted her to Monday Fairy, appointed her head of the IRS and everything. And I bet the winged bitch looked just like Jenni.

Her belly is showing a little as I rush past her standing on my porch. She pulls my hand from my keys, “I'm ready to accept your apology now, Wilma,” she says and I look at her as if she's been drinking.

You keep waiting. I don't owe you an apology!” I snap.

I have a police report that says differently. It must be so hard though … knowing how easily you and your kids were replaced with someone younger, thinner, much … much prettier. I suppose I'd be bitter too!”

She's so smug and I really have to hold back from hitting her. I tell her she is trespassing and that I'm well within my rights to shoot her if she doesn't leave. For some reason, she seems to see it as a threat.

If you ever want Sam to take an interest in those mutts of yours again I'm certain you'll learn to keep a civil tongue around me. I'm sure we can come to some kind of arrangement!” she says in a chipper spiel that doesn't fit. It doesn't fit but I don't care. Did she just call my children mutts? In less than ten seconds I am going to bitch-slap her.

I understand your poor mother is owed a little money from the hospital,” and 10 … 9 …

Sam's been so … emotional since I’ve gotten pregnant. Just too clingy. Y'know? He really needs someone more insecure … like you.” and 8 … 7 … 6. “That's why you two were so good together. You each knew your limitations.” and 5 … 4.

He needs you. And I need money to strike out on my own. Start again with people in my own class, if you get my meaning,” and 3 … 2.


I'll even sell him back to you at a discount. Say $10,000 even? I'm sure your mother is used to buying you happiness …” and Houston we have lift off! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment