Monday, March 17, 2014

My OCD giggle

My OCD lol

Sorry I was gone from here guys.... PC issues. And please don't miss our Literacy Fest on the 29th.

I have noticed a growing trend that is really irking me, people in decent medical health walking around, looking intelligent enough until out of their mouth comes a phrase like, “Oh you'll have to excuse me. That must be my OCD, Bi Polar, PTSD (fill in the blank.)” This growing trend isn't funny and it isn't kool. In my opinion, neither is denying a child who actually suffers from something medication for it. In my day that was called criminal neglect.

The reason I am so adamant about not using a mental disorder as opposed to an adverb or even, dare I say it, a misplaced modifier is because if you suffered from one of these disorders I seriously doubt you would take it so lightly.

My daughter suffers from OCD and her case is mild. If in school she was assigned a choice of four topics she would find herself unable to pick one. She would write on all four. Yet it was never good enough. She would have to rewrite the papers repeatedly even after she got the grade. To this day she hasn't stopped those reels of obsession. It is not uncommon for her to insert, “That paper I wrote on ___ I should have really used the word sardonic instead of sarcastic,” into an unrelated conversation. She has been graduated for 5 years and she is still rewriting those papers. They haunt her like some dark sin that needs rectified. My point is those reels are still playing in her mind every minute of every day.

She explained to me long ago that OCD means eight or nine reels playing continuously in your mind at once. I asked my shrink years ago about this disorder. His response was, “OCD is worse for the sufferer than having schizophrenia.” I felt terrible also for having told her for so many years, “Dammit! Would you just let it go and come to the present moment!” It would appear she couldn't help it.

Go and turn on every radio in a store to a different channel and turn the volume up as loud as it will go. Live with that truth for five minutes and tell me then, is it a joke? Imagine that noise in your head every minute for the rest of your life. Still funny?

That's my side of it,
Angel

www.streetlighthalo.comMy

No comments:

Post a Comment