Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stuff I did!

Hey dudes! S'up? Lol

I am in a very good mood. Though no one gets back to me about fixing my canceled benefits or surgery or meds I am sky-high anyway! I love organizing things. I love my literacy fest ads and calling vendors, making promos... it keeps me out of my twisted head. Last night I put designs of characters for an excellent book series Hamilton Troll books (think Dr. Seuss meets Bill Nye) I printed the character's faces and cut them out of sticker paper to transfer the designs to individually wrapped candy. They came out so adorable! That's a nice freebie at a book signing or classroom lecture. I love the books too... there really aren't a lot of engrossing science books for kids so if you want to pick up some of those that link is:


This is not the first thing I have ever organized! Not to blow my own horn but to tell you the story and the medicinal purposes of helping others, I tell you a little story. Way back when Haiti was wiped out by a hurricane there was here at the same time an ice storm that knocked out an entire Indian Reservation. The storm was so bad that it snapped telephone poles and buried entire houses... but even though people couldn't even be dug out everyone was only concerned with Haiti. It was the only thing on the news then. So I stayed up with little to no rest for weeks cold calling churches, newspapers, grocery stores, other reservations... everyone I could think of. I was turned away so many times... even by churches and charitable organizations. What I did accomplish (my friends and I actually) was to get an article in a small newspaper, 2 trucks of supplies sent and a donation drive, door to door that cost hundreds to mail. We weren't able to get money donations but at least we were able to get people a little help. I even had a couple of reservations turn me away, but I couldn't give up. Some of these people were vets, a lot of them elders and people with small children. I couldn't look away.

What did I get in return? 2 weeks before that I was in bed wondering if the only way out of the relationship was violence. I had lost the will to live... not suicidal but just terribly depressed. What did it do for me? Got me out of bed, got me to start bathing and eating again and kept me from thinking about how useless I felt. If the value of that were monetary I think it would easily outweigh a couple of trucks of supplies. Don't you?

Not to preach but this IS why Jesus said, “Do unto others, Love thy neighbor..” This is why every creative religion and creative theology states that you should give more honor to others than you do thought for yourself. It is because the benefits and emotional, psychological pay back is like a billion times more than the energy you just spent. It can change a mindset. It can move a heart. It can change a life.

There is an old song that says, “Charity is the coat you wear twice a year.” My advice is put that coat on every day.... THEN you will be the richest man in the world.

That's my side of it,
Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment