Sunday, January 26, 2014

Things you never Knew About your Medicine Man

Things you never knew about your Medicine Man

It's a year gone by since Old Man Bear passed. It wasn't until a week later that I learned of it as I was away on family business. I remember my heart breaking into a zillion tiny pieces... he would take the journey now. He appointed me long ago to do the ceremony, leave food out for him every so often to build strength for him as he traveled. It is an old way from the Time-That-Was-Before to leave food for the dead and it was his wish that I do this after his death. He called me his Keeper of the Soul. So for a year I have tried to keep my promise and to keep him alive in our hearts and memories. But tonight I will do the other half of the ceremony that sends him to a realm... a paradise of his choosing.

Before he is set finally to the gates of that world I want to show you some of what this incredible man did in his life. He was a shaman yes but he also accomplished much more. He was a lobbyist for a law to bring Pluie's Highway to light. It passed but still collects dust waiting to be implemented. He was a gourmet chef, a professional photographer, wedding officiant, death companion, published author, (Under The Mesa Blanca Bridge) and he even ran for office in Texas and nearly won. He founded a charity that provided computers to homes for the poor and so many other things... always learning and always an advocate for education. He had more knowledge and spiritual wisdom than anyone I'd ever met. He once helped an abused woman escape a terrible situation... and believe me I am grateful.

But do these things, these heavy-handed words serve to properly describe who Rev. Bear Jones was? Never. There have never been words created eloquent enough to give proper honor to him and what he meant to me. He never let this wheel-chair destroy me. He taught me the difference between handi-capped and handi-capable. I have come this far because somewhere a Bear believed in me... taught me to believe in myself. He helped me earn my degree, was more than a priest, more than a mentor, more than a friend. But to hear him he was just a simple bear.

I will list below a few links about things he did but while you peruse these stop and think about what truly defines greatness. Is it how much he accomplished? Or is it how many he touched?





That's my side of it,
Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment