Tuesday, January 21, 2014

TRUTH

My book is coming out soon! I am so excited! But let me say that arranging a book launch is ….. OMG so hard to do.

I have built shelves and displays I am ready to launch but then I think to myself, where do I place my book? I was thinking schools but I am now considering detox centers, psyche clinics... anywhere that there's a troubled teen. I see them everywhere... It seems so impossible to reach them. Teens can be so elusive! That's their charm.

My book 'Snapshots From Home; Tales from Dysfunctional High School is a tool to help kids know that other people also feel this way. It is my hope that the book will help heal some of the feelings of isolation and also give parents and teachers a tool they might need to open discussions, because let's face it sometimes it is hard to start a conversation on a touchy topic. Most people don't walk up to you and start a conversation with, “Hey let's discuss our family's views on homosexuality.” If you start a conversation like that it is usually met with confused and awkward silence. The other person in the room might then think, “Whoa dude! Is he saying I'm gay? Holy crap! Is he telling me he's gay? What do I do?”

I see many troubles in this world. Many start with speaking. As Exupery wrote, “Words are the source of all misunderstandings.” I find this truth often. It seems we have all become so politically correct and so afraid to offend anyone that we have forgotten how to talk to one another. Ergo people feel ignored and alone. Ergo in trying so hard not to be offensive we have in fact become more offensive. Nobody wants to feel ignored or neglected. Good intentions as they say.

My daughter is the light in my eyes and the very beat of my heart. If I had to buy and read a book with her in order to help her decide her path, I would do that in a heart beat. Is my book going to save the world? No. Is my book going to resolve every issue? Don't be silly. My book is just another way to get us to look before we leap. I hope that it helps. We need to learn to talk to each other again. The blessings we will receive in return will be countless.

That's my side of it,
Angel




No comments:

Post a Comment